Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My puppy picks up and chews stones, wood anything that fits

My puppy picks up and chews stones, wood anything that fits in his mouth actually, I cant stop this can you give me advice?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Oh, this is such a frustrating problem. And very good to get on working on this issue right now. We do not want him to actually swallow the rock since those may not pass through very well.

Dr. Joey :

If you do not want to strictly avoid the situation (restrict access to inappropriate items), then you need to teach him to WANT to relinquish things to you, not simply to allow you to take things from him. This is done by teaching him to drop things on command for rewards. Like all training or behavior modification, you need to start simple (set him up to succeed). This means starting with things that are very low value or even things that he will want to relinquish, such as a ball or toy that you will then toss for him to fetch. It also means that you do not add to his anxiety about high value things (like rocks or socks) by yelling at him, if he has something and if he has relinquished something high value for you, especially this early in the process, you do not give it back, and then try to take it again. That feels too much like teasing, even if he is being given treats.

Dr. Joey :

As a side note, denying access to all rocks is certainly the best option in the short term. The risk of digestive tract foreign bodies blockage is high.

Encouraging appropriate chewing is obviously extremely important at this age when everything goes into the mouth (this is the highest point of teething for most puppies). If he is not keen on kongs, then try freezing them with gravy/mince or plain yogurt inside which can make it more appealing for teething puppies.
Other forms of environmental enrichment can also help him to be focused on activities other than chewing rocks. Part of this can be teaching him to give any item up on cue and possibly a "leave it" cue as well (see above).

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.