Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi, my 70 kg Rhodesian Ridgeback has potentially just eaten

Hi, my 70 kg Rhodesian Ridgeback has potentially just eaten 1 single grain of blue rat poison, should any action be taken if its such a small quantity and such a large dog? many thanks Clare
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Max ate some rat poison.
He is a very large dog, but depending upon the type of toxin in the poison I may recommend that you induce vomiting anyway.

What is the active ingredient in the toxin?
If you don't know that what is the specific name of the rodenticide and I will try to find out the active ingredient?

Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know as we have pest control in to do it, so I dont have a bag to look at the ingredients or the name of the poison but I'm trying to contact the pest controller at the moment so will hopefully get back to you asap with an answer, all I know is its blue and its grain.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** ask them if it is one of the anticoagulant types versus the neurotoxin (Bromethalin), or tissue calcifying type (cholecalciferol).
The most common ones we see are the anticoagulant type, and one grain of that should not be an issue, but any amount of the neurotoxin type should be taken very seriously and I would induce vomiting.

I'll wait for your response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He says its bromobait (brand name Sakarat)0.005% wwbromadriolone

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much for the further information. Bromodiolone is a higher generation (more potent) anticoagulant rodenticide.
A toxic dose (where we would see symptoms) is 0.05mg to 1.5mg per kilogram of body weight. For a pup his size that would be 3.5mgs to 105mgs as a minimal dose.
There won't be nearly that amount in one grain of the rodenticide, so he should be fine.
I would watch him for any signs of blood in his urine, bruising, especially on his belly and the bottom of his chest, bleeding gums or a cough, just in case he ate more then you know.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.