Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

In a week or so, my wife and I are obtaining two english cocker

In a week or so, my wife and I are obtaining two english cocker spaniel puppies. We already have a 10 year old french bulldog and two 5 year old cats.

What precautions, other than separation of the puppies from the other animals mentioned, should we take to avoid risk of parvo virus ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Charlie, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

First, congratulations on the impending new additions to your household:)

In order to adequately address your question about them, I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Just to confirm, you're worried about transmission of parvo from the pups to your existing pets? Or are you concerned for the pups? Or both?
2. Has the 10 year old French Bulldog been vaccinated for parvo at some point? When was the last vaccine given, if you know?
3. Is parvo a problem where you live?
4. Will the pups be vaccinated prior to their arrival?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. From existing to puppies.

2. Bulldog has all the usual vaccinations and was re-vaccinated Jan 2014

3. Not that I am aware of.

4. They will only be a few weeks old and will not have received the usual 13 weeks vaccinations.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Charlie:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

First, I can reassure you that you don't have anything to worry about where the cats are concerned. They can't transmit parvo to dogs of any age.

And, since your Frenchie has been recently vaccinated, the likelihood of transmission from her/him to the pups is neglible.

The risk for pups at this age woudl more likely come from the outside environment, especially if parvo is prevalent where you live. This virus can be present just about everywhere but young pups are more readily exposed where an infected dog has been.
It is easily carried on shoes or clothing to new areas or into the home.

My suggestions to new owners is to severely limit contact of the new pup to other dogs except perhaps for family members or friend's dog whose vaccination status is known. Don't take them to dog parks, don't take them to pet stores, don't walk them on the street.
If you wanted to be really obsessive about it, you'd change your shoes when you enter your home although this may be taking things a bit far unless you spend a lot of time around other dogs (you work in a shelter, for example).

I don't consider certain breeds to be safe from this virus until they are at least 6-7 months of age but most pups will be adequately protected by 5 months. Even if they've been vaccinated several times, they may still be at risk since their immune status (or lack thereof) plays a huge role in determining whether or not a pup will succumb to the disease after exposure.

This LINK may be helpful if you want to read more about parvo virus but your I hope I've allayed any concern you might have about transmission from your pets to these new additions to your home. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Charlie:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, good luck with the pups; it sounds like you're going to have your hands full pretty soon:) Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.