Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my siberian husky is poorly at the moment and has been seen

Customer Question

my siberian husky is poorly at the moment and has been seen by a vet who has priscribed an anti inflamatory because he feels the dog is arthritic, but we have noticed today that he is developing black patches on the pink part of his gums, what is the likely cause and how concerned should we be about this

Graham Rutter
Hull
East Yorkshire
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. The black patches are likely to represent lentigines as seen in the pigmentary abnormality called lentigo. It's common in dogs with highest incidences reported in middle-aged to older dogs. It's asymptomatic and isn't addressed. There's no medical treatment and the prognosis is good as lentigines are benign changes and a cosmetic problem only.

The only differential is melanoma but this aggressive cancer causes considerable inflammation and discomfort to our dogs. If Charlie remains unaffected by these patches, melanoma isn't present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.