Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 year old spaniel has an eruption of wind followed

Customer Question

My 10 year old spaniel bitch has an eruption of wind followed by a greasy liquid coming from her back passage it doesnt smell just makes her back end fur wet and greasy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. The "greasy liquid" is colonic mucus suggestive of a colitis in Molly. When the colon becomes irritated the mucus glands excrete excess mucus in an attempt to protect the colon. Molly's flatulence also suggests colitis - either due to a gas-forming bacterial infection or perhaps fermentation of ingesta in an impaired gastrointestinal tract.

Many of these colitises will remiss unaided within a few days - particularly those due to a dietary indiscretion or other minor food-related disorder. Dogs who remain symptomatic for more than three days, however, will benefit from either presumptive therapy for colitis (the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole, e.g.) or a diagnostic work-up involving a thorough physical exam and a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When she eats her dinner she has to go outside to poo and she poos a lot she has lost a bit of wait too
Yes, her urgency and frequency also suggests irritation in her lower (large) bowel. Weight loss suggests that this isn't a simple acute upset but, instead, a more persistent disorder that may reside entirely inside her GI tract but also may arise secondary to major organ involvement such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, and chronic renal insufficiency.

You've told me that Molly should see her vet for a thorough physical exam and work-up. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here but I believe I've given you direction on how to proceed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.