Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi we have 2 cocker spaniel from the same litter. They

Customer Question

Hi we have 2 cocker spaniel bitches from the same litter. They are 14 months old. They normally get on pretty well but over the last approx. 5 months they have had 4 fights when we have had to separate them, the last one today. Any advice please? One is partially sighted . We also have their mum and a much older dog. Thank you Val
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Val and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual, Val, for dogs in the same home to develop subtle territory issues between them and this behavior is causing this. If niether dog is spayed, this is your first step since hormonal influences can cause this behavior.

Follow these tips:

1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Rescue Remedy is also helpful. Use this on both Bonnie and Bella.

2. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when you see this aggression starting, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!

3. Only have them together when supervised and feed separately for 1-2 weeks to decrease their anxiety.

4. have your vet examine Bonnie and Bella checking for a medical cause such as hormonal issues or metabolic problems that could cause this. If this is ruled out, ask your vet for an anti anxiety medication such as Clomicalm or Reconcile that will decrease the anxiety that is causing this.

5. Consider contacting a veterinary behaviorist that can help your girls past this past this.

6. TakeBonnie and Bella back to a good obedience class so you will have better control over her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They have not been spayed but it is something we have considered. Thank you for your advice, we will certainly try what you have suggested and hopefully things will improve. Val
Good for you, Val....I am sure with your love and care for sweet Bonnie and Bella, that things will improve.