Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi my dog had a growth a few weeks ago in between her toes

Hi my dog had a growth a few weeks ago in between her toes it had been there for about a year and vet said was fine until a few weeks ago when it grew huge and burst and was then infected. Since then the vet put her on cefalexin and prednisolone bd and its gone right down and is now none exsistant. Shes also had like a cist on her front leg fee a few years, te last couple of days shes been licking it and mad it sore and bleed today her leg is also swollen with it. Ive bandaged it and vet wrapped it so she cant get at it and shes got her lampshade on too. Would it do her any harm if i use human cefalexen on her until i can gwt her the vets?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jennifer, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Tammy.

Human Cephalexin and the kind we prescribe for dogs is essentially the same drug so it would not be harmful to give her what a human would take.
The dosage is 10 mg/lb twice a day, with food to prevent stomach upset.
While it would be illegal for me to suggest or advise you to give Tammy a drug which was prescribed or dispensed for a human, I can provide the dose which is what I have done.

Cleaning with Hibiclens is good as is preventing access to the area. I'm certain that you're being careful not to apply the bandage too tight such that circulation is impeded.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Jennifer:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Tammy. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.