Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have 12month old cavachon she is a very fussy eater and

Customer Question

We have 12month old cavachon she is a very fussy eater and will not eat much we have tried different foods and combinations but it's hit and miss......last Thursday she started with the runs ..then vomited...and this carried on until late Saturday I didn't feed her but then gave her fresh chicken only and although the vomiting stopped she still had loose stools.....yesterday she was better..but in the night she again has loose stools and again this morning and she also vomited....she is lively enough but seems to be loosing weight and has a warm nose ??????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is about 1.7 kgs and the only thing that has changed is that we are on holiday in the lakes but I have brought her regular food with us
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Glenys, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. Though she is a fuzzy eater having gastrointestinal problems will also affect her appetite. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, or even secondary to a systemic disease. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest
3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit or diarrhea after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter