Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

30 month female flat coated retriever 4 - 5 weeks out of season,

Customer Question

30 month female flat coated retriever' 4 - 5 weeks out of season, has stopped eating with no interest over past 4 days, had lost weight. Could this be phantom pregnancy ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I cannot say this is necessarily consistent with a phantom pregnancy; usually with this problem we have signs of nesting, perhaps even lactation. It could potentially be related to being an intact female in that she has a pyometra or uterine infection which often slowly develops and then manifests as lethargy and general malaise. However, not eating is a nonspecific sign that can indicate one of many underlying issues ranging from ingestion of unusual item that is trapped in the system, organ problem (liver, kidney, pancrease, etc) to blood issue (anemia, etc), to infection (viral, bacterial, fungal) and the list continues. Since she is losing weight, this is a clear indication that she really needs to be seen by her veterinarian today for an exam and some testing (lab work screening with CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) to try to narrow down the cause.

JACUSTOMER-tymuiuhm- : No answer to read
Dr. Joey :

Let me try resubmitting my reply to you again: I cannot say this is necessarily consistent with a phantom pregnancy; usually with this problem we have signs of nesting, perhaps even lactation. It could potentially be related to being an intact female in that she has a pyometra or uterine infection which often slowly develops and then manifests as lethargy and general malaise. However, not eating is a nonspecific sign that can indicate one of many underlying issues ranging from ingestion of unusual item that is trapped in the system, organ problem (liver, kidney, pancrease, etc) to blood issue (anemia, etc), to infection (viral, bacterial, fungal) and the list continues. Since she is losing weight, this is a clear indication that she really needs to be seen by her veterinarian today for an exam and some testing (lab work screening with CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) to try to narrow down the cause.

Dr. Joey :

If you still cannot read then I will switch us to Q/A where you can read this and we can continue to communicate.

JACUSTOMER-tymuiuhm- : Where is your reply ?
JACUSTOMER-tymuiuhm- : Where is youth reply ?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

I apologized that I switched us to this setting but apparently the system is being glitchy for us and not allowing us to communicate well in a live chat.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you received my replies above now and what questions you have.