Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My daughters 7yr Weimar male,walks around the house with her

My daughters 7yr Weimar male,walks around the house with her socks in his mouth whining.There doesn't seem to be a regular pattern to his behaviour.
She is out at work but we are in the house every day i.e.my husband and myself.
Would appreciate any advice.Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about Rollo. Besides doing this walking around with the sock and whining, is acting normal with all the following - eating, drinking, no weight loss, social otherwise normally? How long has this been happening for? When he is found doing this, does he come and want attention?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For several years he has been doing the "ritual".other behaviour normal I.e. Eating ,drinking ,playing etc.
The family -son 22yr moved to Australia 3yrs ago - daughter left for University 2yrs ago but home regularly.
Hope this may be of help.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for that information Jean. That is great that all the other behavior is normal. This "ritual" is one that is being done to most likely achieve attention. At some point, he started carrying it and received attention from doing it. This has continued on as he carries it to get him noticed and to most likely receive petting or praise. Personally I had a cat that would do a very similar act with a small stuffed toy when she wanted to be petted. She would pick it up in her mouth and walk all over meowing until someone would stop what they were doing to pet her. Much like pavlov and his training of the dog to salivate when a bell was rung, Rollo most likely has learned that if he does this act, he will get attention and that is what he likes. I wouldn't think that this act is his acting out to get companionship. Please let me know what questions I've generated with this Jean.