Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Maggie my 9 year old Scottish Terrier is weeing more than normal,

Maggie my 9 year old Scottish Terrier is weeing more than normal, I know its hot at the moment so she's probably drinking more than normal but she never wees in the garden but she has twice today!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she producing a normal volume of urine or smaller?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Is she losing weight?
4- How long has this been going on?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. A normal volume of urine, because she only normally urinates on her 2 daily walks they normally last a long time! But she's gone twice in the garden today which is not like her & once yesterday.

2. Yes she is spayed.

3. She has lost a bit of weight but we got a puppy last August so she is more active than normal playing with her.

4. To be honest I'm off work today & yesterday so that could be why I've noticed.

5. No apart from that she seems to be fine

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Lorraine, urine output is directly related to water intake, the more she drinks the more she will be urinate. There are many possible causes that would cause a dog to drink more than usual. If the weather is warm or an increase level of activity will cause the dog to drink more. There are also medical reasons. It will be difficult for me to tell you the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common medical causes are: Urinary tract infections, kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, it is important to rule out the above medical conditions. I would recommend you have Maggie checked by your family veterinarian and have a blood test (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. This test will rule out most of the above medical conditions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter