Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has just ate a whole cooked chicken while I was out

Customer Question

My dog has just ate a whole cooked chicken while I was out for half an hour at the moment she is just sleeping please advise if I should be doing anything
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, as you may already know the concern with ingestion of chicken bones is an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bones without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bones can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change the diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter