Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is 14 years old. She has started to be very sick with

Customer Question

My dog is 14 years old. She has started to be very sick with her tinned dog food. Would puppy food be betters for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely fashion. Lucy's "starting to be very sick" (vomiting?) needs to be clarified, please. Is Lucy, indeed, vomiting excessively at this time? if so, changing her diet at her age isn't the appropriate manner in which to proceed. While the increased amount of protein - as found in a puppy food - can be helpful to a geriatric dog such a she, too much protein can be detrimental to failing kidneys or liver - common problems in a 14 year old.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have a thorough physical exam performed on Lucy including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. 14 year olds don't have the reserve that much younger dogs have and so "watchful waiting" for any more than a few days can be dangerous. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here but you have alarmed me which encouraged my recommendation.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish. perhaps I can be more specific for you once I hear of more history for Lucy.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Lucy, please?