Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We are caring for our daughters dog (a four year old beagle)

We are caring for our daughter's dog (a four year old beagle) while she is on holiday (the family have been gone for two weeks). He is eating and drinking normally but for the last few days he has been lethargic, his tail is down and he is subdued and didn't want to go for a walk this morning. He has had the run of the garden and I am concerned he might have licked a poisonous plant although there has been no vomiting or diarrhea. The only other thought I have had is that he may be missing his family although he was quite happy when he first came to stay. He is timid and my husband says he was frightened and ran off when he met a large group of boisterous school children when they were out walking yesterday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound like something is going on with Dave. The tricky part you are facing is trying to determine if there is a serious medical problem or if this is behavioral. Is his appetite normal?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Joey :

Excellent. I would advocate, if not already done, to do a good once-over on him at home. Specifically I am worried about his back and neck. To test those areas for pain, have him in a standing or sitting position. Run your hand down his spine and press over each spinous prcess from the vertebrae. If he shirks away or vocalizes or gets grumpy, then you found the painful spot. Next check his neck. Gently elevate his head until his nose is pointed at the ceiling. Then lower it until nose pointed at the floor. Then move to the left and right (nose almost touch shoulder). If at any point he demonstrates pain or even resists. Then come back to that move and try again to see if it is truly real and not just a bheavior. If you find spinal pain then that is probably the cause.

Dr. Joey :

If there is no spinal pain, then it is very important to check his abdomen and his joints (including his tail in a range of motion evaluation) to see if we can find where he is being bothered. If you do all this and find nothing, then I feel that he is quite safe to monitor at home. I would recommend feed/water as normal and see if he gives you any further/new signs such as vomit/diarrhea/coughing. If he does get a new problem then he may need to be seen by his veterinarian.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have.

Customer:

Thank you. We have followed your instructions and there seems to be no pain so will monitor as you advise.

Dr. Joey :

That sounds like a very safe plan. If he is just sad about his people being gone, then doing some fun activities like a walk or play might help. But at the same time watch him closely to ensure he is not showing you any pain with these activities (i.e., do not push him to do what he may not want).

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.