Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a 3 year old spaniel that has managed to contract an

I have a 3 year old spaniel that has managed to contract an auto immune disease which is now under control and he is back to where he should but means that my vet is reluctant to vaccinate him due to his lowered immune system.
Other than this he is a completely energetic and healthy young dog.
We have had life long plans to travel with the dog around europe for several month, should I now put these plans aside, I am not really wanting to go without him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Did Stanley have an auto immune disease where his red blood cells and / or platelets were attacked? How long ago was he first diagnosed with it? Is he still on medications for it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it was his red blood cells has he spent a good couple of weeks in a bad way, but he is now okay and his last 3 blood tests have come back in good order and today he has come off the medication after yet another good blood test.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that information Stuart. I'm glad to hear that Stanley has recovered from this potentially life threatening destruction of his red blood cells by his immune system. I wanted to give you this link on IMHA (Immune mediated hemolytic anemia) for you to have as much information on it as possible.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1390

This disease is one again that is extremely serious. When cases are diagnosed, owners can be told that about 1/2 of the patients won't recover from the disease and succumb to it. So in saying that, you can see how serious this disease can be. If he truly is in remission, then he can have a very active life. He doesn't need to live in a bubble. I wouldn't say that future travel plans would be not possible as these travels wouldn't necessarily put him at risk for a relapse any more than him being at home. Now in saying that, prior to travels, you should have current copies of all his health records in case something does happen while traveling so you have immediate access to them.

As far as future vaccinations, they could lead to relapse in a patient with IMHA - so future vaccines have to be greatly scrutinized for the risk they bring of a relapse.