Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my doig ate beetroot leaves, would that cause a pinky normal

Customer Question

my dog ate beetroot leaves a couple of days ago, would that cause a pinky normal stool but with a pink discharge following the stool like a pink paint

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

What an interesting question! I assume she is otherwise acting fine since eating the beetroot leaves. The answer is maybe. This is not a documented problem, though. And if related to ingestion, the discoloration should clear within 1-2 days.

Beta vulgaris (beets) will contain both some anthocyanins and betalains, both are pigment type of compounds. One of the specific betalains in beets that is in the highest amounts is betanin, also called beetroot red, which is used as a food additive for its color properties.
Yes, excess intake can color urine and/feces in several species.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi joey, would you say that the liquid she passed after pooing is

therefore fairly normal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So in your opinion would you say that this appears fairly normal

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
If she is otherwise acting absolutely fine (no vomit, no straining to defecate, eating well), then I do expect this fluid is associated with the ingestion. It should clear by the end of the weekend. If not or if her stool is worsening (more diarrhea), then she needs an exam with her vet.

Keep me posted!