Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

rear leg chewing since apup now 6yr spread both front paws middle

Customer Question

rear leg chewing since apup now 6yr spread both front paws
middle nail root clottedblood or wart
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely fashion. I suspect that it has confused many - including me - vets. Please clarify the following:

1) Will has been chewing his hind leg since he was a pup? Only the one leg? Any particular place on that leg? Has he been lame on that leg? Are there skin changes or other changes in the appearance of that leg?
2) The digits of both of his front paws are spread apart? This suggests unnatural weight bearing on the front legs either because of the conformation of those legs or because he has shifted weight from his painful hind legs to his front legs.
3) One of the nails/nailbed on a front leg appears to have bled and/or has a growth ("wart")? This would be difficult for me to diagnose from here. If he's painful on that paw, it would need to be attended to by his vet.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but I promise to reply as soon as I return.