Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my dog got a spike of a flea dart up his nose this morning

Customer Question

my dog got a spike of a flea dart up his nose this morning we got it out and he sneazed alot when it happend but as been fine since just a couple of snezees he is eating and seems ok should i get him checked out by vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Paula, I'm Dr. Deb:

I recently came online and see that your question about Clyde hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm sorry for this concern for Clyde but since he is no longer sneezing a great deal and is otherwise acting fine, it doesn't sound as if a vet visit is needed at this time.

Dogs can sneeze for a lot of different reasons, especially if foreign material makes its way up their noses. Just like us, they usually sneeze a few times and that's the end of it. But, occasionally, the nasal passages are still a little irritated and a small amount of sneezing may occur for several hours.

You could give him over the counter Benadryl which may help inhibit any more sneezing which he might do. The dose would be 1 mg/lb and can be given twice a day. Sedation is a commonly seen side effect though.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Paula:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Clyde. How is he behaving today? Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay but he is fine now thank u for putting my mind at rest Paula
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Paula:
No worries about the delay; I'm just glad to hear that he's OK.

And glad I could provide reassurance when you needed it:) Deb