Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My puppy is 16 weeks old, and continues to indoors,

Customer Question

My puppy is 16 weeks old, and continues to urinate indoors, how can I stop this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Casper.

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Puppies have a natural instinct to go back to the same place to urinate. Unfortunately, if they start to urinate indoors, they will be drawn back to that area.

The best way of dealing with this is to make it impossible for him to get to the places he uses indoors. If you can, use baby gates, or a crate, or closing off the rooms he uses until he is fully house trained. Sometimes is is necessary to even keep him on a leash in the house.

Puppies must earn the privilege of being loose in the house. If he did just urinate outdoors, then he can have run of the house, for maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I set a kitchen timer when I bring the puppy indoors after urinating. When the bell goes off, it is either back outside, or into a crate, or on the leash.

The biggest mistake most puppy owners make is letting the puppy loose in the house after coming inside when the puppy did not urinate outdoors. This is setting him up to fail! If he was outside, and did not urinate, he must be kept confined, and away from any spots in the house where he has previously urinated.

The best ways puppies learn is to be "proactive", and prevent the indoor urination from happening. If you are "reactive" and punish or yell at him after he has an accident, it does not really teach him anything except to be afraid of you.

So, close off doors if you can or set up baby gates, and make it from now on a zero tolerance for indoor urination. A crate works great for keeping him confined until the next outing. A leash also works well. He has to earn the right to be free indoors.

Please let me know if it this helps, and what other questions you have.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca