Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog was playing wiv a bag of self leveling compound it ripped

My dog was playing wiv a bag of self leveling compound it ripped bag open an myt of eaten a little bit of it the dog seems alrite bein its usual eatn and drinking fine what shall I do iv already rinsec her mouth gave her planty of and milk
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Neil, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Ruby. It's excellent that you flushed out her mouth right away.
I do have a few questions to ask about her if you dont' mind:

1. How long ago did this happen?
2. How much do you think she might have eaten, if you can tell?
3. Any ulcerations on her lips or in her mouth that you can see?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it happened 4hours ago ruffly her lips and gums have swelled up a bit but other then that she seems her usual self and say how much she may of ate but dnt fink it was cuz surely shed have an upset stomach

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Neil:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.
This product wouldn't be considered toxic if a dog eats it but there are a few concerns when they do:

1. They can be quite alkaline and cause irritation to the mouth and mucous membranes which it sounds like you are seeing at least to a degree.
If the swelling is mild, then it may resolve in 24 hours or less.
If she seems uncomfortable, then you could give her Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day as long as she's not vomiting and isn't currently taking any other non-steroidal anti inflammatory medication.

2. This product can coalesce into a cement ball which can act as a foreign body and become lodged in the stomach or possibly intestines. This might take 24 hours or less to happen but signs to monitor would be vomiting, decreased appetite, lethargy or possibly abdominal pain.
If she should develop any of these signs, then I'd have her seen as soon as possible, if you can.

3. Gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting can occur but I would have expected her to have already done so if she were going to feel nauseous. However, diarrhea can also develop and might not be seen for 12-24 hours.
If it does, then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem fairly quickly.

I hope this helps and that she'll be fine but it may take a few more hours to know if that's the case or not. Deb