Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

9 week old puppy. Ate some grass 2 days ago. Some diarrhoea

9 week old puppy. Ate some grass 2 days ago. Some diarrhoea yesterday with small amounts of blood. Appears fine otherwise
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How does your puppy seem now?

My top concerns when we see diarrhea especially with blood is that this is probably not related to food unless there was an overhaul of the diet being fed and this was an abrupt, not gradual change. Instead I worry this could indicate an intestinal worm problem (hookworms, roundworms) or a viral problem (such as parvovirus). If there is persistence of diarrhea especially if bloody today then this is becoming a medical emergency. He needs to be tested for parvovirus (which is an easy in-house test your vet or emergency vet can do). The sooner that is diagnosed (or ruled out) the better because the longer therapy is delayed the more difficult it is to achieve a successful outcome in treatment (they can die from this). He is also too young to have persistent fluid loss.

Dr. Joey :

Therefore, my top recommendation is to take him in to be seen today, if he has persistence of loose stool (or new vomiting or lethargy or lack of appetite) especially if still bloody. If you are not able to take him in right away, let me know. I have a few at-home suggestions you could try but please understand if this is parvo then at-home treatment will not work.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response. The puppy has eaten well today and is very lively. His latest stool was a lot firmer and there was no blood. Should we take him to the vets tomorrow anyway?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
This sounds excellent and unlikely to be viral. Yes, please have him seen tomorrow and have his stool checked for intestinal parasites. If he at all declines, then an emergency visit today is indicated.