Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

18 month old lab bitch, has been sick last night,diarrhea and

18 month old lab bitch, has been sick last night,diarrhea and trace of blood in the stool
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is Meg doing since you posted the question?
2- How many hours since the last time she vomited?
3- Is she lethargic?
4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 she seems to be quiet but ok

2 it has been around six hours

3 no she has been out for a walk

4 she has been eating grass when were are not looking

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

around 20 kilo

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Charles, there are many possible causes for the symptoms that you are describing in Meg. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter