Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my king charles is having problem with what looks like one

Customer Question

my king charles is having problem with what looks like one of his back legs. he went outside the other day and i heard him wimper really loud, he ran back into the house crying really loud for 5 mins, he hasnt been able to lie down for too long or stay in one position since. he can walk on it fine its just when he's been lying in the same position for short period of time and he moves, or when he lies there he'll wimp out all of a sudden. he also takes his time getting off the sofa or getting up.
i dont know what to do, any advice u can give me would really help me

thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely fashion. Because Buster isn't lame on that leg and is having difficulty jumping up and down, I would expect to find that it's his spine that's causing his pain and resultant restlessness. Intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") is most likely in a 4 year old King Charles and this can be conservatively addressed with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as the prescription carprofen or meloxicam, an analgesic narcotic such as tramadol, and perhaps a skeletal muscle relaxant such as diazepam or methocarbamol. Restricting exercise is prudent in order to avoid his hurting himself further. Most dogs will remiss nicely within 3 weeks however any worsening as evidenced by paresis (weakness) in a limb or, indeed, paralysis, dictates prompt attention by Buster's vet who might recommend surgical decompression of Buster's spine.

Buster's vet will want to carefully palpate Buster's spine for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk and might recommend X-raying Buster's spine. Many of us will treat presumptively, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.