Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Can you please clear up a matter for me. My brother and sister-in-law

Customer Question

Can you please clear up a matter for me. My brother and sister-in-law are heartbroken today after their dog (Which I bred) had to be put to sleep this morning. I am mortified. He was only 6 and a beautiful dog. He was showing signs of lameness last year but a problem could not be detected. He was then given steroid treatment for 7 months and finally 2 weeks ago they said his shoulder needed to be stabilised, so he underwent surgery. I have to say I was shocked that he was sent home after the surgery WITHOUT being given a course of antiobiotics. He then 2 days after started showing signs of an infection, my sister-in-law was in and out of the vets every day and he was given pain killers and anti-inflamatories. It was not until Friday that he was finally given a course of antio-biotics, bearing in mind that infected fluid had been seeping for days and my sister-in-law kept bathing it with saline solution. This morning when they got up, his stomach had gone black and skin had died and ripped open revealing his bone and flesh. They went to the vets again and were told there was nothing else that could be done as the infection had taken hold and he was put to sleep. I am horrified. Surely after surgery there should always be a course of anti-biotics, especially after such surgery that this dog had and bearing in mind he had been on steroids for months which we all know decreases the level of ammunity. Can you please give me your views on this
Carolanne Lewis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I am so sorry for your loss (and your family's) of Freddy. Sounds like it was pretty traumatic for everyone, especially Freddy.

Dr. Scarlett :

You said the surgery was to "stabilize his shoulder." Can you give me more details? Was it an orthopedic surgery or had they detected an infection? Was bloodwork done prior to the surgery? I assume the lameness was in that front leg? Do you have tick-borne diseases over there, like Lyme?

Customer:

It was orthopedic surgery. There was no infection before the surgery. I believe bloodwork was done prior to surgery. Lameness was in the front leg, There is no tick-bourne disease

Customer:

Even when my dog was neutered he was sent home with a course of anti-biotics. Surely after such surgery that Freddy underwent, he should have come home with a course of anti-biotics?

Customer:

Freddy was perfectly healthy prior to surgery

Dr. Scarlett :

Thanks. So as far as antibiotics prior, during, or after surgery, if the surgery is expected to be "clean", antibiotics aren't always given. The vast majority of vets these days don't automatically prescribe antibiotics for most surgeries, because of the risk of bacterial resistance. It is rare now for routine surgeries, such as spays, neuters, lump removals, etc to get antibiotics. The orthope

Dr. Scarlett :

The orthopedic surgeon that comes to my practice to do knee surgeries rarely gives antibiotics intra-op and never sends any home. If it is a "clean" surgery, with low risk of contamination, then nothing is usually given.

Dr. Scarlett :

If the complete blood count prior to surgery doesn't show an increase in white blood cells, then there isn't an expectation that there is an infection going on.

Dr. Scarlett :

In Freddy

Customer:

But surely as Freddy had been on Steroids prior to this there would be more of a risk of infection

Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
In Freddy's case, I think he was at higher risk of problems because of immune suppression from the steroids. I assume he was still on them at the time of the surgery? If there was a question about sterility or concern that he had an infection elsewhere (like a bladder infection), then antibiotics would have made sense. I would also have been concerned about potential delay of wound healing because of the steroids.