Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My staffordshire has just finished her season and week

Customer Question

My staffordshire bull has just finished her season and week latter now still losing bloodish fluid also she as not eaten proberly for a week she is breathing heaverly and has not been her self and her stool are very soft and red jelly like
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Roxy. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

How long now since her heat began>

Rebecca :

One concern I would have is a "pyometra", an infection in her uterus.

Rebecca :

They always happen following a heat cycle. They can be serious, even life threatening.

Rebecca :

Here is a good article about pyometra:

Rebecca :

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=603

Rebecca :

Since she is 7, that is the first thing I would check for if she were my dog. I would either draw blood and check to see what her white blood cell count is (It would be high if she has this condition) or I would look at the fluid she is discharging under a microscope. If there are a lot of white cells in the discharge, this is probably a pyometra.

Customer:

Just over a week ago her heat started back

Rebecca :

That is about the right timing for a pyometra.

Rebecca :

You see a discharge a few days to a few weeks after a heat cycle ends.

Customer:

She also smells a bit on her fur a bit more than normal

Rebecca :

I am more and more worried about a pyometra. They can have a bad smell, because of the infection.

Rebecca :

If it is a pyometra, the sooner she sees a veterinarian, the better.

Rebecca :

I sure wish I could give you a home remedy, and I do that whenever I can, but a pyometra is a true veterinary emergency.

Rebecca :

Even if it is not that, it would be good to find out for sure. Maybe she just has a more routine infection, and just needs antibiotics. But if she has a pyometra, she will get worse and could even die, so she should be checked out as soon as you can to be sure.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing. I am again not seeing responses from you.

Customer:

What is the cure for this by a vet?

Rebecca :

If it is a pyometra, the best treatment is to spay her.

Rebecca :

There is another protocol, giving an injection to bring on uterine contractions, along with antibiotics.

Rebecca :

But when you do that, most of the time they get another pyometra the next time they go into heat.

Rebecca :

So spaying her is best.

Rebecca :

It is not the kind of infection that gets better just with antibiotics usually.

Customer:

Sorry for delay im not the quickest on the keyboard lol

Customer:

Ok thank you

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Rebecca :

Kndly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back with you to see how Roxy is doing.

Rebecca :

I am still here, until you close the chat by rating my answer. So let me know what other questions you have. I assume you are still there?

Rebecca :

I sure hope it is not a pyometra, but I would get it checked out as soon as you can.

Rebecca :

the website tells me you went offline now! I will try to connect with you in the Q and A format.

Customer:

Yes im still here, ive just Google pyometra and the symptoms are what she has got we dont have an emergency vet round here but we have a local vet that roxy is under and she be there 1st thing in the morning and thank you once again and sorry I will rate you a top star thank you bryn

Rebecca :

Great!

Rebecca :

I am glad to hear you will get her to a vet soon.

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Let me know if there is anything else.

Rebecca :

Still here, until you rate me, so let me know what else I can answer!

Customer:

How do I let you know if its pyometra ?

Rebecca :

You can pick up this thread again. Also, I will be checking back with you and you can respond to that.

Customer:

Ok thanks bryn

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rebecca just giving you an up date regarding Roxy it was confirmed as pyometra and when we arrived at the vet there was an other dog there and normally Roxy would be crawling and barking at other dogs but she was screaming and the vet didnt like the sound and the way she was and after a long chat with the vet it was in the best interest of Roxy to be put to sleep regards bryn

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Byrn,
I am so sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
The webstite may send an automatic message about Roxy so please disregard it. My sincere sympathy for your loss.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Bryn,
How is Roxy doing?

Rebecca