Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Help!

Hello, I need some advice please. I have a 8 week old cockapoo ago has been in a pen on a rug. As you can imagine there have been some accidents so I decided to steam clean the carpet when he was out of the way with a household steam mop. HOWEVER, I forgot that the mop had some of the recommended deodoriser / perfumer in it and only realised when I had done the part I'd the run his pen is on! There is no pet warning on it and I put a rug down over it under his pen but now I'm really scared I might have poisoned him so I took the rug up. He's asleep now in his carrier and looks normal but I'm a new parent and really anxious I've harmed him. The brand is h2O mop x5 tropical zest steam fragrance and the only ingredients I can find are: <5% perfumes, non ionic surfactants, contains CITRAL. please could someone advise me if I need to take him to a vet! Thank you! 1354: Is anyone there?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I understand your concern for Eddie, and I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Is Eddie showing any symptoms of a problem, breathing difficulties, vomiting, coughing sneezing, etc.?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Bob, thanks for getting back to me. He has only sneezed once and that was when he was in another part of the house. Otherwise he appears to be behaving normally, he's slept, eaten, had a training session and a play and he's now lying in his kennel. I've only had him 4 days but this seems to be normal behaviours for him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thinking about it, the only thing which seems different is that he is a little more subdued than usual.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you Alex. Fortunately, dogs are not very susceptible to most modern household cleaners and fragrances. The manufacturers generally research the effects and safety of their products prior to releasing them for public consumption in order to avoid liability situations. As long as he isn't showing any unusual symptoms (an occasional sneeze really doesn't count!), I'm confident he'll be just fine. His acting subdued may simply be due to the unfamiliar smell he's perceiving from the cleaner. For future reference, an enzyme type of cleaner is usually more effective in removing odors and stains from pet accidents, and they are the safest of all cleaners available today for our pets, children and ourselves. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you so much for your reply. If I leave the rug outside overnight and then clean it with an enzyme type of cleaner, would it be ok to place back in its usual place?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
That would be fine. It's not really a question of safety, though. I think it would be perfectly okay just to leave it alone. If you want to be absolutely certain that you've done all you can, your suggested course of action would be the way to go. If I can be of any further help, now or in the future, please let me know.
Best regards, *****
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine