Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

hi, my small dog has been drinking a lot more and urinating

hi, my small dog has been drinking a lot more and urinating during the night.he seems o.k. thru the day,but restless at night.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information about Ossie? Has he had any urine accidents in the house (overnight or during the day?) Is he asking to go out more frequently? Any straining when he urinates or only producing small amounts? Have you noticed any blood in his urine?

Dr. Scarlett :

What is his appetite like? Any change in the amount he eats? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Any change in his weight?

Dr. Scarlett :

How long has he been drinking/urinating more?

Customer:

he has urinated indoors at night for the last three nights.no blood in there,he has vomited a small amount of water once.no diarrhea.

Dr. Scarlett :

My first thought is a possible urinary tract infection and/or bladder stones. I would expect him to be having the same issues during the day, too, but if he can have more free access to outside, you may not be noticing it as much.

Dr. Scarlett :

If it is truly only an issue at night, then I think about things like fears (we've had a lot of thunderstorms here lately and anxiety can cause increased drinking and urinating) or that he isn't drinking enough during the day and overdoes it at night. Thus leading to a really full bladder at night.

Customer:

that's true,he can go out in the back garden.he is eating o.k. and drinking more.

Dr. Scarlett :

Diabetes is always a concern, but if he isn't eating more or losing weight, that seems less likely.

Dr. Scarlett :

Cushing's disease, another endocrine disorder, can cause increased drinking and urination. Often the dog is also very hungry and may be panting more, but not always.

Customer:

o.k. he is a very anxious dog,and he is panting a lot ,I thought it was the weather.

Dr. Scarlett :

At this point, it would make the most sense to have a urinalysis run by your regular vet. They can look for an infection and crystals. If they see microscopic blood, they may recommend an x-ray to look for stones. If the urine is very dilute but otherwise normal (ie. no infection) they may recommend further testing for Cushing's disease. A urinalysis would also detect glucose in the urine, so diabetes can be ruled out, too.

Customer:

thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Let me know what you find out!