Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Took my Labrador for her annual jabs and vet checked her over

Customer Question

Took my Labrador for her annual jabs and vet checked her over and in doing so pulled at her hind legs which she didn't like (she was growling)! Since then she is yelping when she first stands up. She has had no prior problems and goes running with my husband regularly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I highly doubt that your veterinarian was capable of pulling something to the point it hurt her. But if she was painful in this area (I suspect her hips) then this could be early arthritis. In the shorter term she may need some periodic pain relief for this. You should phone your vet and ask about this (sometimes the vet can give you a free 7-day trial of medication). I do not know that she will need to remain on this daily, but it sounds like she needs something right now to help her feel better.

Dr. Joey :

In the longer-term you should probably start her on a joint supplement with glucosamine (such as Cosequin or Dasuquin or Zoom).

If you are worried this is much more serious than arthritis, the next diagnostic test that should be done would be xrays of her hips/back to identify if there is arthritis versus something else.

Customer: I phoned vet but cannot get appointment until Monday.
Dr. Joey :

Since your vet just saw her, and identified the "pain", (s)he should be happy to prescribe her this medication without seeing her again.If it was months ago she was seen, then unfortunately she might need that appointment.

If that is the case, then over-the-counter there is not a lot you can give safely to dogs. You can use aspirin, but I find it is not a very effective pain relief medication in dogs and carries a high risk of stomach ulceration. Your vet has safer products to be tried. But if you want to start aspirin this weekend you may be able to get at the pet store for her or use the buffered people product. I can help you figure out a dose if you tell me her weight.

If she is confirmed to have arthritis on xrays, then our goal is to keep her comfortable. This means periodically (or daily) she may need some level of pain relief medication. We have many that can be prescribed such as a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory (Rimadyl or its generic carprofen products, Metacam, etc), gabapentin, tramadol, etc. And acupuncture works great.

Customer: That's the point there was no prior pain she just doesn't like being messed with. The appointment was just on Thursday evening and she has been yelping since.
Dr. Joey :

Then, you should easily be able to phone and give your vet that information; see if they can prescribe something. If they are not helpful (which would be very disappointing) then you could try some aspirin for the weekend (and be sure to tell your vet when she is seen by them that you had to start this). In my practice we always make room to see a dog that is this uncomfortable as a walk-in or urgent care visit.