Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 7month old Yorkshire terrier has been In great health ,

Customer Question

My 7month old Yorkshire terrier has been In great health , yesterday he seemed to be suffering hay fever .. I cleaned his eyes n he slept for most of the day , today one of his eyes is all cloudy like a cataract over it , the other is perfect . He in much better form all happy again but actually looks as if he gone blind .. And I'm worried .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Shamie is so young, this is most likely a form of eye infection causing the cornea to become cloudy making it appear as if he is going blind. If Shamie is sneezing or coughing, give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs ot decrease the allergic reaction.

You can continue with the Brolene eye drops as a preventative but it is best, ***** ***** young age, to have your vet examine Shamie's eyes since if there is a corneal ulcer, this can be very serious for Shamie and require more intense treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi surely if it was an ulcer he would have shown signs before yesterday
It seems from nowhere he had what I think was hay fever , and Green goo from his eye yesterday to this cloud I wish I could show u a picture .
There has been no sneezing or coughing and there isn't a bother on him now , his eye is just all cloudy bug clear or puss or any discharge .
This green discharge, Siobhan, is typical for an allergic reaction or an infection...the infection can come on quickly causing this cloudiness that is due to a steamy cornea from teh irritation. There is no way to know for sure, Siobhan, without your vet testing this.

Use the eye drops for a day or 2 but if there is no change, Siobhan, take Shamie to your vet for an exam. Eye issues can be serious if the correct treatment is not given.

Thank you so much, Siobhan, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure, with your care, that Shamie will do well.

Have a wonderful day!