Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi, I noticed my dogs pupil is constantly open, he does not

Customer Question

Hi, I noticed my dogs pupil is constantly open, he does not seem to be in pain but the eye is weeping with clear fluid and the pupil looks cloudy white, it is not enlarged or bulging. What should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin :

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Dr. Michael Salkin :

A persistingly mydriatic (widely open) pupil and epiphora (excessive tear) concomitant with clouding in the pupil (cataract, usually) is consistent with glaucoma and secondary uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments). This presentation should be addressed by an on-call/ER vet at your earliest convenience. While not curable, glaucoma can be conservatively managed - at least initially - and sight can be preserved. Examination of Rory's eye must include testing of his intraocular pressure and an opthalmoscopic exam of Rory's fundus (the back of the eye) performed if possible in order to clarify the underlying etiology. I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It came in late at night here when few vets are available. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Rory, please?