Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog stole an onion bhaji from my plate yesterday evening

Customer Question

My dog stole an onion bhaji from my plate yesterday evening whilst I was clearing up and has since had diarrhea and is off his food. He's a golden retriever and is always, always hungry so it's very unusual. Do I need to take him to the vet? Is there anything I can check?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?
2- Any vomiting?
3- How much does your dog weigh?
4- How big was the onion bhaji?
5- Do you have an idea of how much onion in one bhaji?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there.

1. Yes

2. No

3. 35kg

4. About the size of the palm of your hand

5. Approx 90g of onion

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Adam, as you may already know onions are toxic to dogs. Toxicity is very dependent on amount ingested, we begin to get concern with doses above 5 grams per kilogram body weight. In this case Murphee took a dose of 2.6 g/kg which is below the toxic dose. Other possible consequences as you see is gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give medication to stop the diarrhea like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours he should be seen by your family family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter