Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

eyes watering

eyes watering
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Meg, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Archie but I have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long has this problem been going on?
2. What breed is he?
3. Any color to the discharge such as yellow or green?
4. He is squinting or keeping his eyes closed?
5. Does he rub at his eyes?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. for about 2wks

2. Cocker Spaniel

3. left eye green

4.no

5.no

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Meg:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

As I'm sure you know, this breed is prone to watery eyes but the discharge is usually clear. The fact that he's not rubbing the eye or squinting is good since we can pretty much rule out injury or trauma to the cornea.
So, it sounds as if Archie may have a low grade conjunctivitis or eye infection since only one eye is affected and the discharge is green.

As to the underlying cause of this condition, it's often difficult to determine: he could be suffering from allergies or he could have irritated his eye in some way. In most cases, we don't ever know why the condition developed.

Over the counter treatment options are going to be somewhat limited unless you have access to human opthalmic drugs. Eye medications (at least here in the States) are prescription only.
But you can gently rinse or flush out the eye with saline solution which may help to soothe it. (avoid contact lens solution, though).
A warm washcloth placed on the eye twice a day may also be useful.

In many cases, resolution of this problem won't be seen until antibacterial eye medications are started (especially since it's been present for two weeks already) but the suggestions above may be useful.

I hope this helps although I regret that I can't provide a more effective over the counter solution for you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Meg:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
And, best of luck with Archie. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.