Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

my shih tzu usually has problems with her glands but this

my shih tzu usually has problems with her anal glands but this time the symptoms came on all of a sudden and she could barely walk, i brought her to the vet twice and he doesnt know whats wrong because her glands were not full, she's eating and drinking but can barely walk and she's yelping. This started 3 days ago and she's not getting any better and just sits all day and its getting harder for her to urinate because she cant stand for long. She's 7 years old. She did get groomed to tight so the backs of her legs go nicked but can they be causing this much pain ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I don't think Puddin's signs have anything to do with her anal glands.

Dr. Susan :

From what you are describing, I'm worried that she may have slipped a disk in her spine.

Dr. Susan :

Did the vet give you any medication aside from the antibiotics?

Customer:

He checked her legs and her spine but said he cant find a problem, she keeps jumping and licking her behind just like she would with her glands

Dr. Susan :

Typically, dogs with a slipped disk are quite painful and it is generally easy to locate the region of pain - however this is not always the case.

Dr. Susan :

You mentioned that she is having trouble standing, and is quite painful.

Dr. Susan :

I think the pain alone is a good reason to start an anti-inflammatory like carprofen or meloxicam.

Dr. Susan :

She should also be on an exercise restriction. Do not allow her to jump on or off of furniture, avoid stairs, and only take her outside long enough to urinate and defecate - then right back inside to rest.

Dr. Susan :

The grooming problem is also not enough to cause this degree of discomfort.

Customer:

he gave her an injection on Friday which had pain killers and antibiotics in it but I had to bring her back up on Saturday because she was still the same. He gave me fuciderm cream for the cuts and previcox i think they're called but there's still no change. She is on the couch 24/7 and I carry her outside to urinate but its becoming more difficult

Dr. Susan :

What specifically is becoming more difficult?

Customer:

When I bring her out to go to the toilet, she just sits and wont move and its taking alot longer and she's yelping as well

Dr. Susan :

OK, I highly recommend taking her to an internist or neurologist on Monday.

Dr. Susan :

If she continues to worsen at this rate, we could be in serious trouble in the next few days.

Dr. Susan :

Do you know if there is a referral center near you?

Customer:

I have no idea but I think i'll go to my vet again tomorrow and ask him about it, thanks

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if there are any further questions I can help you with. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me positively. My goal is excellent service :) I will check up on you and Puddin in a few days, I hope she is improving by then.