Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, I have a very old terrier x. A small dog. He scratches

I have a very old terrier x. A small dog.
He scratches a lot...even though he takes 2mg of Medrone V every other day.
Will it be safe to also give him Piriton? And if so what dosage?

Regards,
Vivian Cornforth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

It is generally safe to give steroids such as Medrone and antihistamines such as Piriton together, that should not present any drug interaction problems.

Customer: Hi there,
Scott Nimmo :

The dose for Piriton (Chlorpheniramine) for dogs is between 4 - 8mg depending on the size of the dog, but in any case do not exceed 0.5mg per Kg of your dog's bodyweight. Piriton is dosed every 12 hours.

Scott Nimmo :

Also Some cases of atopy { allergic skin disease } are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction, it is good practice to really control fleas properly whatever skin condition your dog is suffering from.

Customer: Hi there,
Scott Nimmo :

And allergic skin disease in dogs can also be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a hypo allergenic diet, your vet will advise and will stock these but you can also get them from better pet shops. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success. Worth a try though

Scott Nimmo :

And you should exclude infectious itchy skin diseases such as sarcoptic mange which I know your vet will have done already, if that is clear then you are often left with a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis