Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has fresh blood after doing a pooh no pooh in pooh and

My dog has fresh blood after doing a pooh no pooh in pooh and she does itch herself
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Are you seeing any abnormalities in her skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
4- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started just over a week ago the only thing she eats that she shouldn't is cat pooh ??? and she will eat wood ie rotton sticks No her skin seems fine and she is well in herself . I think she weighs around 7 stone
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How long has she been itching?
2- Have you checked for fleas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes no flies she only started itching her bottom today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- To make sure I got this right, she just started itching today and in one area? If so, where exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is scarping her bottom outside on concrete
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
She is rubbing her butt on the floor, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Debbie, when we see blood in the feces it is a sign of inflammation in the colon, she has colitis. When the colon is inflamed it will become irritated and the dog will scoot (rub butt on the floor) and often strain when defecating. There are many possible causes for colitis in dogs; it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, intestinal parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. She will need a hands on examination and stool analysis by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation in the intestines. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter