Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Large Bardino, 7 years old, having episodes of madly licking

Large Bardino, 7 years old, having episodes of madly licking the floor continuously & salivating & swallowing rapidly, appears distressed eating anything green he can find. Even chewing his blanket & a piece of clothing! Lasting roughly 3-5 minutes, has had four episodes this last one 2 weeks post the third, previously months in between.
Appetite still good eating normally & no blood in stools normal consistency & colour.
Appears tired after episodes initially & does lots of double swallowing but then returns to normal self appearing to be fully recovered? Have noticed he has been drinking a lot of water recently.
Please can you help with a diagnosis?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Zorro hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

This is actually a common problem in a fair number of dog, believe it or not.

I've labeled them "Licky Fits" since it tends to capture the behavior fairly accurately.

As to the underlying cause, it's probably different for every dog who has one of these episodes: some of them will have motility disorders, others appear to have Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), some may even have stomach masses while others may have gas buildup. Dogs who are nauseous will often eat things that are not nutritious (it’s called pica when they do) but these events are much more intense and set themselves apart from “simple”nausea.

Motility disorders are often difficult to diagnose without additional diagnostic studies and biopsies are needed to diagnose IBD...something many owners are reluctant to put their dogs through for understandable reasons. Stomach masses are often diagnosed with endoscopy.

Some vets even categorize these episodes as forms of seizure activity but I'm not sure I agree with this assessment in most cases.

However, having said that, since Zorro's episodes only last for such a short period of time (they can often last for hours in most dogs), then this may be underlying cause for him....although it will be difficult to prove unless you put him on anti-seizure medication and his episodes never recur.

Since the largest percentage of dogs will have a gastrointestinal basis for this behavior, I've put together a list of things owners can do which may help with this problem.

Long term:

1. Consider a change in diet. Take the label of his current food and find something totally different. There are many, many options available at pet stores.
2. Feed smaller meals through the day and before bedtime.
3. Use Zantac (which has a prokinetic property to help food move out of the stomach).
Dose would be 1 mg/lb and can be given twice a day

4. Consider soaking the kibble in water for 15-20 minutes prior to feeding.
5. Consider Erythromycin which has better pro-kinetic properties if Zantac doesn't help.
6. Consider metronidazole for IBD.
7. Stress probably plays a role for some dogs; consider DAP diffusers or a collar if this might be the case.

Short term solution (what you do can to help during an episode)
1. Give gas-x or what ever you would take for gas. Give1/4 of what you would take.
2. Give bread soaked in milk.
3.Allow grass ingestion if it is untreated with chemicals.Vomiting may occur,but that’s fine since some dogs appear improved after this happens.

4. Ginger snaps have a calming effect on the stomach .

5. Ask your vet about dispensing Xanax for anxiety for the next episode.

I have had a great deal of experience with dogs who behave as you describe (I have a breed that is genetically prone to IBD and frequently have these "attacks"). In my experience, these episodes are often managed but not prevented and are rarely "cured".
What appears to work for one dog will not work for the next. You have to try different things to see what helps.

Many of these dogs will not have episodes that are quite as severe as they age while others will continue to experience them their entire lives....there's just no way to predict.

For those dogs who have episodes frequently (once a week or more) and I suspect a gastrointestinal basis, I treat them with Xanax for 2 solid weeks. So far, I've been fairly successful in reducing the number of subsequent events.

If an underlying neurologic basis is suspected, then I run blood work to evaluate the liver and then start Phenobarbital. I don't know if this is something you'd want to consider for Zorro, just yet; I might wait to see if the frequency escalates before considering this step.

I know how scary these episodes can be because the intensity is so extreme but I hope this helps you understand what might be going on and ways to deal with it. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank u for advise ... reassuring to know other dogs have "licky fits". i agree with you having witnessed 1 episode that it does not appear to be a seizure much more likely to be gastrointestinal.

Zorro is my ma's dog & she has now informed me that this episode lasted about half an hour today & she had instinctively done as you advised giving bread soaked in milk.

She has also not given his usual dried food but cooked off some cabbage & given that with some wet food today with cabbage water.... do you think that sounds ok?

She said he did eventually do a big burp this morning post episode.

She uses gaviscon & omeprazole for her own issues are they ok to give in the 1/4 dose you advise ... she lives in canary islands & is not sure if they sell Xanax plus survives on a small pension?!

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

You're more than welcome and thanks for providing the additional information.

My only concern with cabbage and cabbage water is that it might produce more gas (as it does in humans) which might contribute to any discomfort issues he's having.
So, I'd probably avoid giving that to Zorro t if she could.

That's interesting that he had a large burp this morning. Related? We may never really know but products containing Simethicone (the active ingredient in the anti-gas products I mentioned) are certainly safe to give him.

Gaviscon would be fine, too, at about 1/4-1/2 the human dose.

Omeprazole can also be given and is a better acid reducer than Gaviscon or Zantac.. The dose would be 1/2 mg/lb twice a day.

Here in the States, Xanax is a prescription drug and not over the counter but I do realize that these sort of drugs may be available in other parts of the world without a prescription.

Best of luck to your mom and Zorro. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Deb...Thank u again.

Have passed on your concerns regarding the cabbage to my Ma & the advise re medicine.

She was cross with herself for not having thought of the wind angle... she was hoping to ease him opening his bowels ... but will stop cabbage right away!

I had already suggested growing a tray of grass for him as there is none out there & she will do that too in preparation should he have another episode & is soaking his food as you suggested.

You have been such a lifeline to us both... as I'm sure you know better than most how unbearable it is to watch an animal you love suffer & not know why or how to help!

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Glad I can help:)

The grass tray is a good idea if there isn't a lot of grass where your mom lives.
And, tell her not to beat herself up about the cabbage; she was doing what she thought would help.

I do know how distressing it can be to watch out beloved pets in such discomfort. And the look in the eyes of the dogs who experience this phenomenon is one of such desparation, it's quite heart wrenching if we can't somehow help them.

I have yet to see one of these dogs become obstructed but that is certainly one of my fears. The sooner the episode can be curtailed, the better for everyone.

Please keep me posted if you have a chance. I know that some time may pass before another episode occurs but even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Regards, Deb