Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My very small dog is 4 years old, and for the last couple of

Customer Question

My very small dog is 4 years old, and for the last couple of years part of his penis is always on show. He had "the" operation a couple of years ago, and I have asked the vet who did it, and he doesn't seem to know (or care). I travel with my dog on buses and trains quite frequently, and am worried that he will pick up an infection, apart from the fact that it doesn't look very nice!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Alfie. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

This is a condition called "paraphimosis", where the penis does not stay in the sheath. It happens sometimes in small breeds of dogs.

The first thing to check for is a problem with his neurologic system, to be sure there is no other condition affect the nerves to his penis. Does he urinate normally, not dribble urine at all?

There is a surgical procedure, called a "preputial advancement flap" that should take care of the problem. It is supposed to be fairly easy to do, and is described in veterinary surgery texts. If your vet does not want to do this procedure, he may be able to refer you to a specialist who can.

Please let me know if this helps, and what else I can help with or answer.

Rebecca