Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a 3 month old male puppy who I think is passing blood

Customer Question

I have a 3 month old male puppy who I think is passing blood in urine has also recently had diahorea he is fully vaccinated, it has been noticed he has only one testicle (not sure this is relevant)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The most common reason for there to be blood in the urine is a UTI, urinary tract infection. Looking at his urine under a microscope should confirm this is his problem, if there is blood in his urine, and a course of antibiotics should clear it up if that is what he has.

Other causes of blood in the urine of dogs would be very unusual in a young puppy. Bladder stones and prostate disease would be looked for in an older dog, but that would just not happen in a puppy this age.

If he has diarrhea, he should be checked for parasites. Looking at a stool sample under a microscope should tell you if he has parasites. Different parasites require different treatments; the medication to treat Coccidia will not help with roundworms or GIardia, so identifying what parasites are present is important.

If there are no parasites, then a diet change, and adding probitoics (supplements of live beneficial bacteria) may help the diarrhea.

If he has only one testicle in his scrotum, then the other may not have dropped. This is called a "retained testicle". This is a genetic defect and he should not be used for breeding. The retained testicle should be found and removed because there is a higher incidence of cancer in the retained testicle. He is young and the other testicle may be there, so have that checked again.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
How is your puppy doing?

Rebecca