Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi Have a new Maltese/West highland puppy, she was vaccinated

Have a new Maltese/West highland puppy, she was vaccinated at 7 weeks with Vanguard by the breeders vet. Today we took her to our vet and they used Nobivac.

1 vet now says another vanguard next week
1 vet now says another nobivac next week
1 vet now says need to start all over again with both same 2 weeks apart
internet says a mixture of the above alone with starting again could kill my dog from over vaccinating.

Surely what's in the vac's is the same things, but this is really stressing me out to know what to do and if the above s are just for money making. I need to unbiased honest advice please help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Chris, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your confusion since you're receiving different information about this issue.

Let me make a few comments about vaccinations in general first which (I hope) will clear this up.

I follow the American Animal Hospital Association guidelines (AAHA) when it comes to vaccination guidelines in puppies. I understand that you live in the UK but the principal is the same regardless of your residence:
Core vaccines which include Distemper, Parvovirus and Adenovirus should be given at 6-8 weeks, then at 12 weeks and the final vaccine given at 16 weeks. The reason this schedule is suggested is that the antibodies which a pup has obtained from mom are starting to wan but the time frame in which this happens is different for every puppy. So, we vaccinate with this schedule since it can take up to 4 months (in some cases) for immunity to be protective .

The fact that your breeder's vet gave Vanguard and then your vet gave Novibac is not an issue.
However, we don't typically vaccinate every week; there should be at least two weeks between any vaccine which is given....usually it's more like 3-4 weeks between vaccines.
The next one will, most likely, be Novibac since you'll be going back to your vet but it doesn't really matter if it's Vanguard or Novibac which is given.

So if Sasha was vaccinated at 7 weeks and then at 10 weeks, her next vaccine will be due at 13 weeks and then the last one due at 16 weeks.
You could also modify this schedule and give her last vaccine at 14 weeks (instead of 16 weeks) but much depends on the prevalence of parvo and distemper in your area. If these diseases are commonly seen where you live, I'd rather be safe than sorry: I'd vaccinate her at 13 and then at 16 weeks of age.

I would not administer more than one vaccine to her at a time (she'll be due for Rabies at 12 weeks of age) since studies have shown that there's an increased risk for reactions when multiple vaccines are given concurrently to small dogs.

I hope this makes sense to you and clears up any confusion. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Chris:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Sasha. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.