Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Hi I have a 13 week old german shepperd puppy and she had discharge

Customer Question

Hi I have a 13 week old german shepperd puppy and she had discharge for the last 2 days. As her mother had her first season that early I didn't worry but in the last 3 hrs she turned very restless keeps licking and weeing every where. Most of the time no wee is coming out . I am quite worried so could you please let me know what it could be and what I could do to help her. I will contact my vet tomorrow morning but would like to know if it is safe to wait till then. Many Thanks Simone
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your puppy. I'm sorry she's got you worried.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

These sound like symptoms of a urinary tract infection or vaginitis, both of which are very common in young female puppies.

Dr. Jo :

I do not think this is a heat cycle.

Dr. Jo :

I know you said her mother had her first season that early, but that is extremely, extremely rare. Most large dogs do not come into heat until they are 8-12 months old.

Dr. Jo :

Also, a heat cycle doesn't typically cause restlessness or the other symptoms you are describing.

Dr. Jo :

These symptoms DO, however, fit exactly with puppy vaginitis and/or urinary tract infection.

Dr. Jo :

While these conditions are not life-threatening, they are uncomfortable. It is best to get her to the vet as soon as possible just so she can get relief, but I would not expect her to face life threatening complications from waiting until the vet is open.

Dr. Jo :

To provide comfort in the meantime, the best thing to do is whatever it takes to encourage a lot of fluid intake.

Dr. Jo :

Ice cubes, cold water, playing in water ... etc.

Dr. Jo :

The dilution and flushing can provide some relief.

Dr. Jo :

Expect your vet to do a thorough physical exam to start with, and a urinalysis. To facilitate urine sample collection, try not to let her urinate for at least an hour or so before taking her in. That won't be easy since she's uncomfortable and feels like straining, but at least you can avoid encouraging her to urinate before taking her in.

Dr. Jo :

Sometimes the vet will want to do an x-ray to look for stones as well.

Dr. Jo :

Once you have a diagnosis, they'll be able to prescribe antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, if indicated, and she'll have relief fairly quickly.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Customer: That'sgreat help would some warmth like wrapping in a planket help her?
Customer: How do puppies catch a urine infection ? Is there anything I can do to prevent it happening in the future ?
Dr. Jo :

Good question.

Dr. Jo :

First of all, wrapping in a blanket is likely only to frustrate her.

Dr. Jo :

Puppies just get urinary tract infections. It's a common thing and it doesn't happen because of anything anyone does.

Dr. Jo :

Girls are more prone to them than boys, just because the urethral opening is close to the anus, and fecal contamination is easy.

Customer: So the only thing I can do till tomorrow morning is giving her plenty to drink and be ready with a mop ?
Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, yes. At least it shouldn't get any worse than that. Maybe some play will distract her...

Dr. Jo :

And - of course - keep her confined to an area where clean up will be easy.

Customer: Yup she is ;-) thank you so much. I feel a lot better and confident about dealing with this. Thank you again and have a nice evening
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.