Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 6month old puppy was frontlined 10 days ago, she is scratching

my 6month old puppy was frontlined 10 days ago, she is scratching and i found fleas on her this morning what should i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Firstly after ten days it would be safe to repeat the Frontline dose ...

Customer:

Thankyou Scott

Customer:

sometimes it seems to go more on her fur than her skin is that a problem. also how long should i wait before i bath her again?

Scott Nimmo :

Frontline is a very good product in my experience but where it does fail it may be because there is a large flea infestation in your dog's environment. so as well as repeating the Frontline it is always good to treat the carpets and surroundings in your dog's environment at the same time. You see at any given time there will be more fleas off your dog than on him and also there will be larvae and flea eggs in the environment as well. You can get sprays from your vet or better pet stores which can be used for this purpose.

Scott Nimmo :

Are you using the spray or the spot on Frontline product?

Customer:

spot on frontline, i have just done her again.

Customer:

spot on and i have just done her again.

Scott Nimmo :

You should part the fur carefully and ensure the spot on Frontline goes actually on to the skin. It does not work so well if it is mainly on the fur since it acts by being absorbed through the skin.

Customer:

sorry it seems i just sent that message twice!!

Customer:

yes i appreciate that but it is almost impossible not to get it on the fur.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem ... It should be possible to get rid of the fleas by a combination of treating the dog and the environment if necessary. But fleas, even very small infestations can be a trigger factor for allergic disease in dogs and hence scratching. You see when the flea bites it injects a small protein into the dog's bloodstream and it is that which causes the problem. This allergic skin disease can continue long after the fleas are gone and of course the dog makes things worse by scratching at the area and so perpetuates the cycle. If you think this may be happening you may need prescription drugs from your vet.

Scott Nimmo :

Sometimes it is good to have someone wearing rubber gloves give you a hand and part the fur for you while the spot on is applied. I know with some breeds which have a thick coat it is sometimes difficult to apply frontline

Customer:

ok thanks, ***** ***** keep an eye on her over the next couple of days if it gets worse then i will take her to the vet.

Scott Nimmo :

Sounds like a good plan, but hopefully the second Frontline application will work ...

Scott Nimmo :

Good luck with her anyway, get back in touch if I can help you further ...

Customer:

thankyou

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }