Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old staffie has diarrhoea & a possible high temperature.

My 4 year old staffie has diarrhoea & a possible high temperature. He is till taking fluids but not food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Well if he indeed has a high temperature then your best course of action is to get him on a course of antibiotics, these are prescription drugs so usually this will mean a trip to the vet.

Scott Nimmo :

That said there are some home remedies you can try while waiting for your vet's appointment

Customer:

He has just been sick now.

Scott Nimmo :

Sickness as well, sounds like a gastro-enteritis. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Scott Nimmo :

Another thing that can help is Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. If you gave Simon a couple of tablespoons twice a day that would be enough.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** that. How can I tell if he has got a high temperature? Will he naturally drink enough fluids?

Scott Nimmo :

You have to make sure he is getting adequate fluids, if he is not much drinking on his own then dose him on the hour using a syringe or similar device

Scott Nimmo :

If you can get hold of an ion balanced fluid for humans with diarrhoea then so much the better, if not plain water is fine

Scott Nimmo :

The only accurate way to assess your dog's temperature would be by very gently using a well lubricated clinical thermometer rectally. The normal temperature for a dog varied between 100.8 and 102.8 F.

Customer:

I can diaoralyte that from a chemist will that do?

Scott Nimmo :

That would be first class, just what I had in mind

Scott Nimmo :

A chemist may also sell you a 20 ml syringe if you explain what it is for

Customer:

Right, thank you very much for your advice. If he gets any worse I'll take him to the vets.

Scott Nimmo :

Sounds like a good plan ... good luck ....