Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog jumps up and cries in pain and tries to turn round and

My dog jumps up and cries in pain and tries to turn round and reach the area at the back
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear Bonnie is in discomfort. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The first thing I would check for is an anal gland impaction or infection. The anal glands sit inside the anus, so you can't see them. A veterinarian would put on a glove to feel and to empty the glands. If there is an infection she would need antibiotics. What you describe is what a dog with an anal gland problem would do.

The other condition that can cause a dog to do this is back pain, from a slipped disc, pinched nerve, etc.

If steroids and tramadol did not help, I would check her anal glands, and take an Xray of her back next. I have found giving a muscle relaxant called methocarbamol (Robaxin) to be helpful if it is back pain, in addition to pain medication.

If there was protein in the urine, I would check for bladder stones (again, an Xray would help) and do blood tests to check kidney function. If the urine was highly concentrated, a trace of protein can be normal however.

She is uncomfortable, so her dose of pain medication or the drug being used needs to be adjusted until she is comfortable. If her back in pain, she tenses up, and then the pain continues. That is why a muscle relaxant can be helpful. Do not use an over the counter muscle relaxant for people, however.

Were any blood tests done? Do you know the results?

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Rebecca, the vet had squeezed her anal gland the other day, hence giving her steroids to alleviate any possible post aggrevation. She is a dog with a previous history of cholangiohepatitis but has recovered well on medication/special diet over the last 2 years. Some painkillers are contraindicated to her condition. Holding her tummy in seems to help her a bit, her breathing on the exhale is very loud and I notice the depth of this breath when I hold her tummy in. The episodes are getting more painful for her. We are trying to get her bloods done ASAP with the vet but they take a few days to come back. Seems to be worse at night.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Clare,
If she can take steroids, she should be able to take methocarbomol.

She may need to have her tramadol increased. How much does she weigh, and how much is she taking?

She needs to get this pain under control to get comfortable, so she can heal. It will help to see what the blood tests say.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I will keep you informed of her progress.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope she is better when I hear from you next.

Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much, she's going down for blood tests 3.30pm this afternoon, they will give a preliminary in-house reading after 20 minutes but full laboratory analysis will take longer. Should be getting some pain killers too. Tyring to get another urine sample before then if possible.

(Wish dogs could talk/we could verbalise together so as to identify where the pain is coming from) !

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

I will be checking back to see how she is doing.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for a great rating. How is she doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is now on antibiotics and another sedative (started Friday evening). Things not quite as bad but certainly not gone. Waiting to finish course of pills and see how things are

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hope she continues to improve.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Clare,
How is Bonnie doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca

Bonnie is still experiencing the symptoms as described at the beginning. I have taken another urine sample which this time is being sent off for culture and sensitivity. I have a copy of the blood results (in-house)

ALP 874, BUN 11.97, creatinine 94, glucose 7.5, GPT/ALT 95, total protein 76, haematology looks normal apart from WBC at 21.7 and GRAN at 18.4. Hopefully urinalysis will tell if antibiotics are the right ones or she needs some more. Anything you can gleen from these results to fit in with your possible diagnoses at the beginning?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Clare,
I am sorry she is still not well.

That is a high ALP. A high ALP is not specific for a particular condition, but can indicate liver inflammation, age related changes, and hormonal imbalances such as Cushing's disease. Is she drinking more water than usual?

A white count of 21.7 is high, and indicates infection or inflammation in the body. GRAN is granulocytes, the particular type of white cell that is high in the count.

The results of the urinalysis will help.