Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My newfoundland is 10.5 years of age. She has developed a

Customer Question

My newfoundland is 10.5 years of age. She has developed a constant runny nose - a colourless liquid, sounds as if she has a sore throat as her almost constant bark has become high pitched, she scratches at her throat and now eats with difficulty.

She did have an eye infection - green discharge - but this has been treated with Fucimol for eyes.

She is often incontinent and has now developed sores around her genital area which are painful for her. We have trimmed her fur in this area and have been given Fusiderm gel. She has gone off her food this morning and drinks lots of water, resting her chin on the bowl rim for comformt I think.

We have also been given antibiotics yesterday and also Prevacox but no diagnosis for her condition. Can you help in any way? We are so worried.

Thank you Sarah
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about ZuZu. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Have any diagnostic tests been done to determine what is wrong with her, such as a urinalysis, or blood tests?

Is she spayed (desexed)?

For a dog that is drinking more water than usual, and not eating, I usually start with a urinalysis to rule out a bladder infection, diabetes, and kidney disease. I would also do blood tests to check liver and kidney function.

I would look down her throat to see her tonsils, to look for any growths in her mouth or throat to explain the change in her voice.

I would take a sample of the liquid discharge from her nose to examine microscopically to see if there is a problem in her nose.

As you said, you have no diagnosis for her condition. It is hard to treat, when you do not know what condition you are treating. If no diagnostic tests have been done, that is where I would start. If any tests have been done, can you let me know the results?

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Sara,
How is Zuzu doing?

Rebecca