Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Max - a 3 year old Blue Merle Welsh Border Collie has red patches

Max - a 3 year old Blue Merle Welsh Border Collie has red patches (of equal size (circle diameter 3 inches) and position) either side between penis and rear legs. These are not irritating for the dog and he pays no attention to them, and there is no loss of skin or scabbing. In humans I would say they look like the early stages of sunburn.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Since Max's skin lesions aren't itchy they could be ringworm. The other possibility of a non-itchy lesion would be trauma of some kind that is resolving. How long has Max had these lesions?

Dr. Barbara :

One type of trauma would be sunburn. Does Max like to lay on his back and in the sun?

Customer:

He's had these for some months. The patches are a consistent colour throughout with no mottling or pattern. They are in the places where he has little hair cover and does like to lie in the sun but generally on his side.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response. Doesn't sound like it could be sunburn then. Also, if these "lesions" have been there for months without changing, I doubt they are ring worm either. Would it be possible for you to take a picture of this area and send it to me?

Customer:

Yes - I will send it via the email reply route. As you will see the colouring is even and "blush-like" - photo of just one side as both sides are similar - could they be frictional - although Max is not overweight (25kg) but does have walks of 5-6 miles every day.

Dr. Barbara :

If he's not overweight then I doubt they are frictional, unless his conformation is unusual. Besides, if he was rubbing these areas with his legs then I would thing they would draw his attention. . .friction is generally uncomfortable.

Dr. Barbara :

I'll wait to get your picture before proceeding. . .hope that is OK. I need to run a quick errand for about 15 minutes but will be right back after that. . .

Dr. Barbara :

Just to let you know. . .I'm back.

Customer:

Hi Barbara

Customer:

Hi Barbara,

Customer:

Any further insight yet?

Dr. Barbara :

Hello. . .

Dr. Barbara :

I'd really like the picture of possible. But I do have one thought. . .

Customer:

Hi I sent the photo through a reply to my email post from you - didn't you receive it? How else can I send it?

Customer:

Ok - got it - can insert it into this reply

Max-Rash
Full Size Image

Dr. Barbara :

Oh, let's deal with this first. Three ways to send. . .there it is. . .I'll enlarge and look!

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks! I think that this is just an area that doesn't get much air on him, do to his conformation and that he has a thick coat of fur. Especially since these aren't enlarging and they aren't itchy, I don't think this is anything pathologic. If you want to you can wash these areas one or two times daily with a mild soap, rinse and dry well. You could also sprinkle a little talcum powder on it and keep him from licking it off.

Dr. Barbara :

If these do enlarge or others occur in other places, then a vet there should do a skin scraping to look at microscopically. This would likely then give a diagnosis.

Customer:

OK - thanks Barbara - you have been a great help. Will now close this with an "excellent" rating.

Dr. Barbara :

Thank you! Greatly appreciated! You are very welcome! Please give Max a special pat from me!

Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Hi Colin,
How is Max doing? If you decided to wash, dry and powder the areas, was that helpful?
Hope to hear back,
Dr. Barbara