Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My malamute slipped over and twisted her back leg. Shes in

Customer Question

My malamute slipped over and twisted her back leg. She's in pain when she puts weight on her leg. I'll take her to vet in the morning. She's eating and seems ok. Just squeaking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

The poor thing! This sounds painful. Is she able to stand? (It sounds so but I want to confirm she has no obvious hind limb paralysis).

JACUSTOMER-h5k8ir7u- : Hi, She can stand but She cant put weight down on the leg she's sore when she's laying down. She makes small cries every so often
Dr. Joey :

There are many possible reasons for why she cannot bear weight that can range from rupture of her cruciate ligament in her knee (parital or complete tear) to hip luxation to fracture.

You must gauge if you think she is so uncomfortable that you need to rush her in to be seen this evening. If you feel like you can get her through until first thing tomorrow, then that may be easiest but she is going to need to be seen. Do you have any pain medication left over from a previous problem for her at home?

JACUSTOMER-h5k8ir7u- : No I have no previous pain meds. Is there anything I can give her ?
Dr. Joey :

I am reluctant to recommend any over-the-counter medication, if you plan to have her seen as anything I may recommend will interact with what you vet may prescribe. The only thing over-the-counter that you may use safely is aspirin and it is not that great a pain relief, anyway. But if you would like a suggested dosage of buffered aspirin (enteric coated), then please tell me how much she weighs.

JACUSTOMER-h5k8ir7u- : She's 45 kilos
Dr. Joey :

If she was my patient, at this weight you may safely give 1 adult-strength buffered aspirin every 12 hours for pain. And please alert your veterinarian that you gave this, if you have her seen tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-h5k8ir7u- : Ok, thank you for your help
Dr. Joey :

You are very welcome.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, then keep me posted, and kindly submit a rating as you exit.