Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 14year old collie and he has been passing a yellow

I have a 14year old collie and he has been passing a yellow coloured faeces for the past 5 days. It just pours out of him like water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

How is Ben other than the diarrhoea? Still reasonably bright and happy? Does he still want to eat?

Customer:

Hello Ben is as bight as can be for an old dog. He is still eating, does not seem to be in any pain. He is drinking water as usual, maybe a little more, but not much.

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that .... This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples ...

Scott Nimmo :

Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Scott Nimmo :

Another good Idea is live yogurt added to the food, this can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.A couple of tablespoons twice a day for a dog the size of a Border collie should be enough ...

Scott Nimmo :

These are common sense measures which i have known work in the past but if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Ben deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

Scott Nimmo :

Another thing that may help is kaolin and pectin or Kaolin and morphine { over the counter } , more info here including dose rates LINK

Scott Nimmo :

That's really it all covered as far as simple home measures go, can I help you further ... ?

Customer:

Hi Scott, thank you for your help, I will try the measures you have given, if Ben does not improve I will take him to the vet. I will starve him for twenty four hours, but make sure he drinks plenty water.

Scott Nimmo :

Sounds like a good plan, I will check back with you in a few days to see how you are getting on ...

Customer:

Hi Scott, sorry for the delay Ben just needed to go out, thankyou for the advice I will take the measures you have given and will starve Ben for the next 24 hours. If Ben does not improve I will take him to the vet.

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }