Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi. I am thinking of buying a shar pei puppy. Do all shar pies

Customer Question

Hi. I am thinking of buying a shar pei puppy. Do all shar pies need their eyes tacking? And is this dog a good breed to have around other dogs as I have an 8 year old male ***** *****. The shar pei I am thinking is a bitvh but I am going to get her neutered. What's the earliest I can have her done and once they have been neutered do they still come into season and have blood loss?? So many questions. Thank you. Liza
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question about a Shar Pei puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Many of these puppies need to have their eyes tacked, but not all of them do. Even if they have their eyes tacked as puppies, many still need to have surgery for "entropion" to keep their eyelids and eyelashes from rolling in and causing damage to the eyes.

She can be spayed as young as 4 months to 6 months of age. If she is spayed, she will not come into season and bleed.

This breed tends to have a lot of problems: skin problems, recurrent ear infections, needing entropion surgery, but not all of them do of course. In general, I would consider them a breed of dog that will be expensive to own, more vet bills and vet visits and medications than a Jack Russell.

Some of them are great with other dogs, especially if raised as a puppy with the other dog. I actually would be more worried about the Jack Russell. My Jack Russell sure did not like other dogs!

These dogs are sure cute and can be very sweet. Because of the problems I have seen, it is not a breed I personally would want, but I like a low maintenance dog!

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Rebecca