Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

taken our pet labrador dog for his usual run this morning,but

taken our pet labrador dog for his usual run this morning,but he is struggling to poo.its never been a problem before ,he's three years old,he cant settle and seems uncomfortable and hes just started to dither a little.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Spencer's situation. What did his last stool look like as far as consistency? How long ago was that again? Is he eating and drinking well this morning? Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

his last stool around 9.30 last night was normal,he had a small breakfast as usual around 9am this morning ,he's drinking ok ,he's not been sick.been out on our usual hike over the moors,but hes struggling to go.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Sheryl. Do you see anything protruding from his rectal area? Any sores or swellings back there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing that i could see,but he looks like he he's ready to to go,if you you know what i mean ,butt nothing comes out

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Is he urinating / urinated since all this started up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes not problems there

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Is he neutered? Has he had any defecation problems in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no hes not neutered,and had no problems until today,he's very lively and active dog who's happy go lucky all the time but today he's very uncomfortable.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for answering all those specific questions Sheryl. I'm going to be honest and say that my best answer at this time involves getting him to your vet for them to do a physical evaluation on him and possible x-rays. With him being as uncomfortable as he is, I'm concerned there is either a lot of stool backed up or there could be foreign material there in the colon that isn't letting the stools pass. With cases I've seen at my ER, a lot similar to this have eaten a lot of bones and this causes the stools to get very dried out like concrete and they don't want to pass. To get them to pass requires enemas and manual evacuation of the stools. Could he have the exact opposite? Some dogs will have loose stools and strain to defecate when there really isn't anything left. But if the last stools were normal, then this would seem unlikely. A lot of what is going on here will be determined by a rectal palpation to see what is felt. Could there be a mass or prostate issue at the heart of this? Those are also possibilities. At home, there really isn't anything that you can do specifically for this. Does this make sense?