Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has black spots on his belly some are under the skin

My dog has black spots on his belly some are under the skin what are they
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Rebecca, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Blaze but I have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. Are the black spots raised (above the skin) or flat (smooth with the skin) ?
2. Do they seem to bother him? Does he lick at them, in other words?
3. Do you think you could send me a picture? It's not always the easiest thing to do, but this LINK talks you through it.

It looks as if you may be offline at this time so there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I may also be offline at the time. But, I'm on the computer several times a day so I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry my ipad needed charging.My dog has white fur ender hes belly that is where the black spots are.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca:
No problems about delay in getting back to me but I'm still somewhat unclear as whether the spots are flat or raised.

If they're flat, then they are most likely just pigment changes and completely normal. They can be irregular in shape and size but are of no concern.

If they're raised, then Blaze may have a localized staph or bacterial infection. Some dogs will require systemic antibiotics before the problem is resolved but if there aren't too many of the lesions present, then topical treatment is often sufficient.
I'd clean the area twice a day with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea). Then I'd let it dry and apply over the counter antibacterial cream or ointment such as we would use on a wound for ourselves. Distract Blaze for 10-15 minutes so the ointment has time to be absorbed. It won't harm him if he ingests some of the ointment but it won't be absorbed if he does.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I get the stuff you suggested because I went to pets at home and they did not have it.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Betadine or Iodine are commonly found in either human pharmacies or stores which carry human first aid products....at least that's the case here in the States.

These aren't pet products although I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Another option would be any product with Chlorhexiderm in the label...again, human products.

Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just come back from taking Blaze to the vests and they said nothing to worry about.I think I should be refunded for you giving me the wrong information and diagnosis..
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca:

I'm glad to hear that Blaze's skin issues were not anything to worry about. If you recall, in my original response to you, I suggested that this might be the case.

It is certainly the policy of this site that you can request a refund at any time; you can contact customer service and they'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

Continued best of luck with Blaze. Deb